Friday, August 8, 2014

How much for that?

What's the cost of getting recognition these days?

I'm a social network guru, if I do say so myself. And the more I scroll down my timelines, the more I see ass shaking, baring skin, the want for a myriad of tattoos, and women in LA. And many young adult women like myself feel like that's the only way to become recognized. What's a girl to do? Maybe I should dye my hair some crazy outrageous purple. Or maybe I should get tattoos from neck to toe. Perhaps piercings in every bodily orphace possible? Maybe if I shake my ass, bounce my ass in a split on Vine? And hell, if I'm all of that and I'm in LA, I've got it in the bag, right? 

This is what we have to aspire to! No woman is getting recognized for being brilliant or ambitious or dedicated or even beautiful. Maybe I should be a video vixen and dance in a thong. Or have sex with someone famous? I'm not sure how we expect our young girls to grow up with a good head on their shoulders if the only people they look up to have their heads on the floor with their leg on the countertop. 

We need to change this. Life is not all about the nearest man turning around to watch you walk away or getting the most likes on Instagram. For what cost do our women have to sell themselves to be noticed? Our young doctors and teachers and women who will be changing our world get a pat on the back, a "hey keep it up". I'm not downing anyone for the way they made it to the top. More power to ya. But it's a growing trend, girls selling their self-respect for money and what they think is power. No, shaking your behind for likes is not power. It's weak. It's showing that's that's all you believe you're worth. My mom always used to tell me, "Baby, you're beautiful, but use your head for more than a hat rack." Don't aspire to be just a pretty face with the latest designer clothes. A nice piece of china isn't much if it's not in a nicer cupboard. Designer with no brain is useless. Strive to be your internal best, and the external best will come. Don't submit to society telling you that you have to be super skinny or you must bare your skin to model. Don't listen to them when they tell you that you don't have enough clout because you don't have enough followers. Don't listen to them when they tell you as long as you have a big butt and a nice rack then you'll make it. Don't listen to them. You're more than the media, baby. Let your mind grow first, then the beauty will reflect itself. The success will come. Stay dedicated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment