Today was a pretty chilly day here in Maryland. Last night, there was a shooting near where I live and apparently, the guy was on PCP. A few nights ago, a student at Suitland High School was shot and killed and another was shot and put into critical condition. The day before that, another Suitland student was shot and killed. For what, you ask? Over some damn SHOES.
I was born in Washington, D.C. but was raised and have spent my whole life as a Maryland resident. I love where I'm from, don't get me wrong. If I wasn't raised here, if I wasn't surrounded by the places and the people and the environment that embody Maryland, then I wouldn't be who I am today. But Maryland...D.C....the DMV altogether...it has become so overwhelming living here. People who aren't from here may see DMV as the forefront of creativity and success. So many beautiful ideas and people have blossomed from here...Kevin Durant, Sandra Bullock, Taraji P. Henson, Chris Brown (yum), Trey Songz (yum yum), and Martin Lawrence, just to name a few. But the DMV has become such an unoriginal place to be. Everyone dresses alike, Lord knows when I leave, I never want to see Helly Hansen, fake eyelashes, eyebrow pencils, New Balances, dreads, or platform shoes EVER AGAIN (or at least not for a while). No one has their own individual style or personality or ideas. Everyone is just scrolling down their Instagram to see what all the people on their TL are wearing, and they go out and copy it. To stay fresh. And this absolute thirst to stay fresh gets lives taken away...gets people jumped, shot, stabbed...for what? An item of clothing? Something replaceable?
I don't think this generation's youth understands. WE ARE THE FUTURE. We are supposed to be our nation's future doctors, teachers, firefighters, policemen, detectives, scientists, writers, actors, singers, dancers...we are our nation's future, no matter what path we choose in our life. None of us have the right to decide when someone else's life ends. NO ONE. With my religious belief, I believe that only God and God alone makes the choice of when it is someone's time to go. And, out of all things, you kill for shoes? Is that the price of a life these days? Couple hundred bucks? You are murdering someone's CHILD, someone's brother or sister, someone's best friend, someone's future father or mother...over an accessory. Our generation is so mentally swallowed up by society's demands of how you are supposed to look and be that they will do absolutely anything to live up to those standards. It's sad, honestly. And I can't even say it's the parents' faults anymore. Many parents raise their children in the best ways they can, and these hoodlums still find a way to not appreciate what their parents have worked hard to give them and go and rob someone of their child, just because that child has a nice pair of sneaks on.
Our world is slowly falling apart in front of us. We need to do more than just sit around and "boohoo, sad story" when we see and hear about things like this. We need to change our perceptions on life. Read books, they educate you and make you smarter. Exercise, it releases stress buildup in the body (psychologically proven). Reinvent yourself. Find yourself. Do whatever you need to do to do better than what you're doing now. Because this can't continue. Be the change you want to see in this world.
Goodnight blogbuddies,
Me
No comments:
Post a Comment